This is the third blog post in the “Packing for a Semester Abroad” series, and will detail the types of clothes I plan on bringing with me for my four-month stay in Europe this Spring semester. It will be quite a long post, so I apologize in advance for the word vomit and photo explosion!
The first thing I did before I began to pack was to separate my clothes into several piles. I thought that packing by outfit would be easier, but it turned out to be more difficult (especially since I plan on recycling and repeating outfits!) so I decided to stick to clothing piles by type.
For this trip I plan on bringing the following “bottoms”:
- 4 pairs of jeans: two denim, one black, one dark red
- 4 skirts: one black, one red, one yellow, one patterned (black and white)
- 2 pairs of shorts (one white, one black)
2 pairs of denim jeans
1 pair of black jeans
1 pair of dark red jeans
3 color-block skirts
1 patterned skirt
2 pairs of shorts
I also plan on bringing the following “tops”:
- 3 black and white tops
- 1 white blouse
- 2 colored blouses
- three simple V-neck t-shirts: one each in grey, purple, and salmon
- 3 crop tops: one printed (“LOVE”), two plain (1 white, 1 black)
- 4 plain t-shirts
- 2 long-sleeved t-shirts
- 4 sleep shirts and 1 work out shirt
2 black and white tops1
1 black/white top, 1 white blouse
3 v-neck t-shirts
t-shirt I’ll be wearing while traveling
L-R: t-shirt, sleep shirt
sleep shirt/work out shirt
Because they are easy to layer (toss a shirt/sweater over one, and it looks like a different outfit), I also plan on bringing several dresses (4 informal, 2 semi-formal):
Last but not least come the cold-weather essentials:
- 3 sweaters: two cashmere (one black, one light grey), one grey with a smiley face design
- 2 beanies: one light grey, one red
- 3 scarves: one off-white, one multi-colored, one tartan red
- 2 pairs of gloves: one leather pair (in black), one knit pair (rainbow-colored mittens)
- 2 spaghetti-strap tops (for layering): one black, one white
scarves (purple scarf not pictured)
mittens (leather gloves not pictured)
And just because I like it this way, a separate section just for footie items!
- 1 pair of toe socks (rainbow-striped)
- 2 pairs of fleece-lined tights (black)
- 1 pair of fleece-lined leggings (black)
- 2 pairs of thermal leggings (black, grey)
- 2 pairs of colored tights (dark grey, dark red)
- LOTS of socks!
fleece-lined tights and leggings
In order to fit everything inside my 81cm U-Lite suitcase, I combined two packing methods: folding and rolling. I folded the stiffer/more structured items (jeans, skirts, etc), and rolled the more relaxed-fit/less-structured items (t-shirts, dresses, etc).
Lastly, I can’t forget my coats! I was originally planning to bring my leather jacket as well, but I left it in Colorado. I am bringing a red water-resistant coat (with a hood), and a black wool coat.
red hooded coat
black wool coat