Last year I really wanted to be a part of GISHWHES – the Greatest International Scavenger Hunt the World Has Ever Seen. I was too late for the registration though, so I sadly read other people having fun creating and/or finding items to take pictures or videos of. A few of my favorite items were:
- A woman wearing a dress (and only the dress) made entirely from bacon. (43 points)
- Fill hundreds of balloons with helium, tie them to a decorated Christmas tree and watch the tree float away. Tree must be a real pine tree (not faux) and must be at least 5 feet tall. The video must show the tree floating off and should be 40 seconds long. (27 points)
As you can see, this was no ordinary scavenger hunt. Organized by the one and only Misha Collins, of Supernatural fame (he plays Castiel the angel) last year’s GISHWHES created a whole new Guiness World Record. The winning team was flown to Rome and got to hang out with Misha personally!
This year’s GISHWHES started off even crazier. I joined a group of 14 other people from the USA and New Zealand. There were many best friends and siblings, and we got straight to it. All submissions are due at exactly 5 days, 8 hours, and roughly 23 minutes from now, so we have to go, go, GO!
Here is the list for GISHWHES 2012…and boy, what a list it is! Some examples?
- [IMAGE] A live monkey or ape wearing a sock monkey hat while trying to extract burnt toast from a toaster. (82 points)
- [IMAGE] Drop a school bus (may be a toy bus) into red, molten lava from an active volcano. (145 points)
- [VIDEO] The “Lydia Easter”: Recreate a scene from your favorite movie. Hold on, not so fas! You must film this scene in the EXACT SAME LOCATION that it was filmed in the movie (same bus stop, restaurant, park, castle, shark’s belly, etc.) The actors must be dressed the same, same props, etc. The more identical the scene the more points you will receive. Extra points for depicting a scene from one of Lydia’s favorite movies: “Mao’s Last Dancer” or any of the “Harry Potter” movies. (100 points)